Friday, May 9, 2008

Welcome to Beantown!

Boston...Beantown...the Commonwealth...home of the Massholes, Patriots, Celtics and of course the Boston Red Sox. Also home of many prestigious colleges, MIT & Harvard, Boston Univ & Boston College, Northeastern, etc. Full of colonial history, Paul Revere's ride, the Old North Church, Bunker Hill, the Boston Tea Party, USS Constitution. And now, is the city I call home!

I have been here just about 3 weeks now and am loving every minute. From my morning walk down Cambridge Street to the T stop (subway stop), across the Charles River and into MIT campus while I walk across the street to Biogen Idec. From walking around the corner from the apt and already being in Boston Commons. Walking down Charles Street's old brick uneven sidewalks in heels and almost breaking my ankle everytime. Seeing the flower shops with fresh beautiful flowers on the sidewalk every morning. Overhearing one man ask another man he didnt know "what the score was" because he knew that because he was sitting on a bench reading a paper with headphones in...he HAD to be listening to the Red Sox game, and was getting ready for the 8pm Celtics tip off. Taking the subway home on Patriots Day back into the city and seeing the opposite train living the city full of people in Red Sox gear and "silver blankets" because they just finished running the Boston Marathon...and are now taking the subway home!

Where else are you going to be walking down a street and pass 2 old pubs, a Starbucks, the Old State House, CVS Pharmacy, the Old City Hall, now complete w/ a Ruth's Chris and the graveyard where Sam Adams is buried...all on one block! All these things and more are what make Boston a great town. Its a big city with a small town feel. I do not feel intimidated by the city, I do not feel that I am being judged. I feel comfortable and confident again. I can't wait to see what the city has in store for me!

No comments: